Distributed Systems, Machine Learning, Algorithms, Security, Cloud Computing, and Robotics.
- Stony Brook University, New York, USA
M.S., Computer Science, Aug 2017 - Dec 2018
Member of the File systems and Storage Lab (FSL) under the guidance of Prof. Erez Zadok.
- Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (NSIT),
University of Delhi, New Delhi, India
B.E., Instrumentation and Control Engineering (elective: AI), Aug 2011 - June 2015
- Grade 77.16% (8.47 / 10) : First Class with Distinction (Dept. rank: 7/165).
- Awarded annual merit scholarship (top 10%) for four successive years for exhibiting academic excellence at college.
- Campus ambassador for AIESEC campus activities and events - increased students' membership by 300%.
- Relevant Coursework:
- Statistics, Probability, Vector Calculus (Mathematics III) (IC 205)
- Artificial Intelligence (elective III) (IC 412)
- Analysis and Design of Algorithms, Advanced Data Structures and Algorithms, Software Engineering (Programming III-V) (IC 309, IC 319, IC 410)
- Computer Networking (IC 315)
- Computer Graphics (IC 217)
- Control Systems I & II (IC 314, IC 401)
- Related Online Courses:
- Class XII (2010), CBSE - 88% (school rank: 3/250)
- Class X (2008), CBSE - 88.4% (school rank: 3/200 with 99% in Mathematics)
Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY, USA, January 2018 - Present
Graduate Assistant (Web Development), Graduate School
- Tools: Development of an internal productivity tool for records department (PHP, MySQL).
- Wipro Technologies Ltd., Bengaluru, India, July 2015 - May 2017
Project (Software) Engineer, Chief Technology Office (CTO)
- P2P: Led a team of 4 people in the development of desktop and web application for a webRTC stack based assistance tool with 50k+ users. Built P2P asynchronous telephony engine for media, chat, and context communication with support for message queuing, offline storage, inter-process communication, analytics, and logging. Designed SIP protocol for SDP exchange, configuration scheme for STUN and TURN servers, and serverless backend architecture using Firebase.
- Vision: Built a real-time image recognition and tracking engine for a live stream of 3D objects on Android mobile platform using Android NDK and OpenCV in C++/Java. Used by 10+ enterprise clients.
mLabs Research, New Delhi, India, June 2013 - April 2015
Software Developer (Part-time) | Research Intern
- IoT: Led the development of company’s flagship IoT products, Funstore and Bit by Bit. Designed the complete backend cloud infrastructure for the products on Apache web-stack (MySQL, PHP). Used by 10k+ users.
- Distributed: Built an asynchronous deployment and delivery service for remote code deployment across multiple IoT devices using socket IPC with support for multiple programming languages.
- Linux: Developed custom linux distribution for IoT devices such as Raspberry Pi with built-in support for services and protocols such as MQTT.
- Research: Papers on Cellular Neural Networks on Raspberry Pi in the prestigious 14th Cellular Nanoscale Networks and Applications conference at University of Notre Dame, USA. Published in IEEE Xplore.
A. Aggarwal and G. Gandhi, "B3: A plug-n-play Internet enabled platform for real time image processing," in 14th International Workshop on Cellular Nanoscale Networks and their Applications, USA, 2014. IEEE Xplore.
A. Aggarwal and G. Gandhi, "Internet based electronic prototyping system for memristor characterization," in 14th International Workshop on Cellular Nanoscale Networks and their Applications, USA, 2014. IEEE Xplore.
Snow OS, Aug - Dec 2017
Course Project, CSE 506 Operating Systems by Prof. Mike Ferdman
- An x86 64-bit Unix based Operating System written from scratch in C.
- Supports memory management, paging, context switching, terminal, shell and file management for tarfs.
- A shell that supports change directory, environment variables, running scripts and background processes, and executing binaries interactively.
Byzantino, Aug - Dec 2017
Course Project, CSE 535 Asynchronous Systems by Prof. Scott Stoller
- An implementation of byzantine chain replication for byzantine fault tolerant distributed systems.
mytcpdump, Oct 2017
CSE 508 Network Security by Prof. Michalis Polychronakis
- A passive network monitoring application (like tcpdump) written in C++.
pbproxy, Nov 2017
CSE 508 Network Security by Prof. Michalis Polychronakis
- pbproxy is a proxy service for adding an extra layer of encryption to publicly accessible network services. It's implemented in C using OpenSSL for cryptographic operations.
Social Network of Internet of Things (SNIoT), B.E. Thesis (Project Lead), Jan – May 2015
Advisor: Dr. Prerna Gaur, Professor, NSIT
- Proposed and presented the architecture to create an intelligent network of connected devices capable of acting together to make decisions with or without human interaction.
- Defended thesis in front of the panel comprising of faculty members of NSIT.
- Demonstrated the proof-of-concept on a cloud-based implementation. Best thesis with highest grade (90%).
FaceGrab, Artificial Intelligence (Author), Jan – April 2015
Advisor: Dr. Vijander Singh, Professor, NSIT
- Developed a python tool to collect public images from Facebook and create a face dataset to aid in learning about face detection, or gender recognition applications of machine learning.
- Implemented Eigenface and K-means algorithm in python for gender recognition using the dataset from above tool as part of an assignment in AI class and achieved ~80% accuracy. Received 80% grade in this class.
PyCNN, Research Intern (Author), May – Aug 2014
Advisor: Dr. Gaurav Gandhi, CEO, mLabs Research
- Developed cross-platform library for image processing with cellular neural networks; 500+ active users.
- Maintained and managed the project on GitHub with 250+ contributions from 20+ contributing developers.
- Cited in the research published on Using Python and Julia for Efficient Implementation of Natural Computing and Complexity Related Algorithms and B3: A plug-n-play Internet enabled platform for real time image processing.
- Trended on Hacker News front-page and GitHub.
PiScope, Student, NSIT (Author), July – Aug 2014
- Developed cross-platform library to turn a Raspberry Pi into an oscilloscope/XY-plotter; 150+ active users.
- Used for characterization of different electronic elements and boards, and as a DAQ for various sensors and devices.
MNIST Sequence, (Author), June 2017
- A tool to generate image dataset for sequences of handwritten digits using MNIST database.
- Available as an API and CLI.
- Resulting images are used to train classifiers and deep learning models.
Instrumentation Oscilloscope, Student, NSIT (Project Lead), Aug 2013 – June 2014
Advisor: Aditya Kumar, Associate Professor, NSIT
- Designed and built a portable, low-cost oscilloscope for laboratory and educational usage.
- Implemented the system software including data-acquisition, processing and display logic in embedded C.
Sentiment Analysis of Twitter in Python, Intro to Data Science, Coursera, April – June 2014
- Estimated the sentiment of a particular term or phrase and analyzed the relationship between location and mood based on twitter sample data. Received 100% grade for this assignment.
EKF & PID controller, Autonomous Navigation for Flying Robots, edX, May – July 2014
- Implemented extended Kalman filter (EKF) and PID controller for autonomous navigation on a flying robot simulator in Python. Received 100% grade for this assignment.
Hand-written Digit Recognition, Machine Learning, Coursera, Nov 2013 – Jan 2014
- Implemented artificial neural network in MATLAB and achieved ~95% accuracy with the given hand-written digits dataset. Received 100% grade for this assignment.
Image Processing Filters, Computational Photography, Coursera, March – May 2013
- Implemented gaussian, sharpen, median, and sobel filters in python. Received 100% grade for this assignment.
Twitter Popularity, Introduction to Computer Science, edX, Feb – April 2013
- Developed a real-time web application using PHP to determine the more popular trend on twitter out of the two given trends. Received 100% grade for this finals project.
Honors and Achievements
- Secured All India rank 17 and Asia-pacific rank 122 in Google APAC ‘15.
- Top 100 out of 1800 national proposals in Texas Instruments Analog Design Contest 2014 and Top 50 out of 1000 national proposals in Freescale Design Contest 2014 for the submission of the project Instrumentation Oscilloscope.
- Ranked 15,016 in the All India Engineering Entrance Examination ( AIEEE 2011) taken by nearly 12,000,000
- Top 75 out of 3000+ participants in HackerEarth IndiaHacks hackathon 2016 in machine learning track.
- Top 50 out of 1000+ in TagMe! 2014 by IISc, Bengaluru, a machine learning contest to categorize an image dataset.
- Gold medalist in school (Intl. - 1004) for International Math Olympiad 2008 by Science Olympiad Foundation.
- Awarded the “Excellence Badge” for eight successive years at school for exhibiting consistent academic excellence.
- OpenCV - Open Source Computer Vision Library.
- Electron by GitHub - Build cross platform desktop apps with web technologies.
- Atom by GitHub - The hackable text editor.
- FreeCodeCamp - The open source codebase and curriculum. Learn to code and help nonprofits.
- learnxinyminutes-docs - Code documentation written as code!
- tota11ly by Khan Academy - An accessibility (a11y) visualization toolkit.
- Technical reviewer of the book “Getting Started with Python and Raspberry Pi” by Dan Nixon, Packt Publishing and the book “Mobile Web Performance Optimization” by S. S. Niranga, Packt Publishing.
- 2+ years: C, MATLAB, Latex, git, Linux, MySQL, WordPress, Markdown, Raspberry Pi, Arduino
- 1+ years: Android + NDK, Java/J2EE, Apache, PHP, Mongo DB, Express JS, R, OpenCV, WebRTC, Electron
- 0+ years: Ruby, Angular JS, Tensorflow, Docker, Blockchain
- Delivered Spoken English classes at an NGO to underprivileged learners under the social initiative “Teach India” by British Council and Times of India. 7 out of 20 learners in my batch completed the 3-month training program in 2010-11 resulting in their successful employment with the help of improved English language skills.
- Coordinated a social initiative to create employment for rag-pickers under Project Pratham, ENACTUS at NSIT in 2012-13.
- Participated in an exclusive Social Innovation Hackathon by Code for India at Rastrapathi Bhavan, New Delhi as part of Festival of Innovations 2016 in the presence of the President of India “Shri Pranab Mukherjee”. The solutions developed during the hackathon are now being used by the Government of Delhi to tackle social challenges.
- Regularly participate in competitive programming contests on Google Code Jam, Facebook Hacker Cup, Codeforces, and Codechef.
- Audited offices and campus across New Delhi encouraging sustainability and low-carbon footprint practices (~5% money saved with ~10% less energy) under The Eco-Audit program by Indian Youth Climate Network (IYCN) in 2012.
- Volunteered with Delhi Photo Festival 2011 as an amateur videographer covering events of 13-day long festival.